Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spreading Hope: Speaking and Submitting 28UFDXR7Y75H

My potential book publicist just described Ben Behind His Voices, and its message within, as "a beacon of hope" for those who are going through any similar challenge with a disability in a loved one. I hope so. Oh, do I hope so. That is my dream for this memoir, and for this blog: to spread hope, to reduce stigma, to open dialogues, to increase understanding and respect for those with mental illness and for their families.

I've submitted this blog to Technorati so that others can find it. To do that, I must include the code here: 28UFDXR7Y75H.  (It's in the title too - just in case)

Meanwhile, on June 9th, I will be the keynote speaker for Fellowship Place in New Haven, Connecticut.  Fellowship Place is a shining example of how important community is to those in the mental illness recovery process. NAMI reminds us that essentials for recovery include, among other elements:
  •  a safe and stable environment
  • an educated, supportive family
  • something to get involved in: work, community, advocacy
  • sustaining hope and a vision of what is possible.
My Ben would not be where he is without his community - his job coach, caseworkers, house supervisors, doctors, family a friends. It takes a mental health village.  Kudos to all who serving as a beacon of hope, and to all who are absorbing it all so they too may someday advocate as well.

Fellowship Place Community

2 comments:

  1. As a consumer as well as volunteer in the mental health system, I love your phrase, "It takes a mental health village." As I think back on my past (I am 71 now), it took exactly that to help this bipolar become more or less "normal" (I intentially put quotations marks on the nebulous term) and very productive in doing "good work." Precisely because of that village, I believe most previously "Mentally Ill" people move in that direction -- i.e., toward doing "good works" (we know the need) such as social work, pychology, volunteering, and the like. Which perhaps makes us somehow "superior"! Take that, "normals."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment here, and for sharing your personal story. You make some excellent points - and I applaud you, as a "normal" who has helped raise a "superior"!
    Randye

    ReplyDelete